If you have a lucky number, Roulette may be the game for you. One of the most iconic casino games, every casino-goer is familiar with the clatter of the ball on the spinning roulette wheel, the anticipation as players wait for the ball to land, and the cheers when their number comes up. An exciting game with plenty of betting options, Roulette is fun and easy for beginners to pick up. It’s fast-paced with the opportunity for a big payout. Basically, the object is to choose that winning number that the ball will land on after being spun on the Roulette wheel. Read on for an overview of the game and give it a try at Three Rivers Casino. Heart-pumping fun awaits you.
The Roulette Table
The Roulette table consists of the roulette wheel and the layout. Both feature the numbers 1-36 in black and red, plus 0 and double 0 (00). 0 and 00 do not have a color and are not considered to be either odd nor even. The layout consists of two betting areas, the inside betting area where all of the numbers are listed and the outside betting area. The inside betting area allows you to bet on particular numbers, while the outside betting area allows you to bet on large groups of numbers—all of the even or odd numbers for example, or the red or the black numbers.
When you arrive at the Roulette Table, you’ll need to exchange your money or chips for special Roulette-only chips. The chips you’ll use for betting in Roulette are colored differently, so that each player gets their own color and does not get their bet confused with those of other players. If someone has already placed a bet on the number you would like to bet on, don’t worry, you can still bet on that number by stacking your bet on top. This is another reason why players are given different colored chips. You must trade in these chips for regular casino chips before moving on to another gaming table.
Meeting the Minimum Bet
When placing your bets, keep in mind that if you are betting both on the inside betting area and the outside betting area, you’ll need to meet the minimum bet in both areas. If the table minimum is $5, you must bet $5 dollars in at least one of the betting areas. If you’d like to bet in both betting areas, you’ll need to place at least $5 in each area. You may not, for example, place $2 in the inside betting area and $3 in the outside betting area.
Beginners often feel most comfortable starting with outside bets because the odds of choosing a winning number are better, but that also means that the payout is lower. Here are the following ways you can bet in the outside betting area:
- Bet on odd numbers or even numbers: Pays out 1:1, otherwise known as “even money”
- Red or black: This is also an even money bet, paying out 1:1
- 1-18 or 19-36: In this bet you can bet on nearly half of the available numbers (not including 0 or 00) and it also pays out 1:1
- 1-12, 13-24, or 25-36: This bet, called a “dozens bet” allows you to bet on one of the three sets of twelve numbers between 1 and 36. It pays out 2:1
- Column bets: There are also three columns of numbers on the Roulette table layout. Each column contains twelve numbers, but they are not consecutive like in the dozens bet. This bet also pays out 2:1
Inside bets are a little more complicated than outside bets. They have a higher payout, but they are also riskier than outside bets. Here are the ways you can place an inside bet:
- Straight up: You can bet on any single number from 1-36, 0, or 00. This bet pays out the most at 35:1
- Split: You can place your bet on the dividing line, vertical or horizontal, between any two numbers. This bet pays out 17:1
- Basket or Street (line bet): Both a basket and a street consist of three numbers. A basket can be 0, 1, 2 or 00, 2, 3 or 0, 00, 2. A street is any three numbers in a horizontal row. This bet pays out 11:1
- Corner (quad bet): You can bet on four numbers simultaneously by placing your bet on the intersection where the corners four different numbers meet (1, 2, 4, 5 or 17, 18, 20, 21 for example). This bet pays out 8:1
- Top line: The top line is 0, 00, 1, 2, and 3. You can place your bet on all five of these numbers at once with the top line bet that pays out 6:1
- Double street (six line bet): Bet on six numbers at once, by betting on two adjoining rows (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 for example). This bet pays out 5:1. Note: The streets or lines that you choose, must share a horizontal line. You may not, for example, bet on 1, 2, 3 and 16, 17, 18 together as a double street. Those would be two separate streets and require two separate bets.
The Roulette Wheel spins all of the time and the dealer spins the ball in the opposite direction of the wheel, causing it to jump and spin before landing on a number. Bets may be placed after the ball is spinning; the dealer will call out “No More Bets” as the ball starts to slow down. The winning number will be marked on the felt, losing bets will be removed, and winning bets are paid out. No new bets are permitted to be placed on the table until the dealer has removed the marker.